2018 Bird Bioblitz
This year the Bird BioBlitz was held over two days, with a Thursday Orientation 5/24 from 5:30—8:30 and Saturday 5/26 at first light in various places throughout the Monument.
Over 85 people split into 10 different groups fanned across the Monument together counted 117 different species of birds by sight and sound. Read for more information and photos.
As a recipient of the Mindful Birding award, the Friends are working to promote ethical birding guidelines and conservation during the BioBlitz event. We developed a code of ethics (pdf) that will be used throughout our birding surveys.
Birding BioBlitz Code of Ethics
1. The birds’ welfare is the highest priority, so please:
- Bird quietly, walk slowly, drive cautiously
- Respect the birds’ territory, do not approach too closely
- Be extra cautious when in the vicinity of nests
- Refrain from using audio playback
- Do not imitate Northern Pygmy-Owl calls
- Do not harass birds by flushing, shining spotlights, or pointing lasers
- Refrain from using flash when photographing birds
2. Preservation of, and access to, habitat is important, so please:
- Do not damage habitat (breaking branches, trampling vegetation)
- Stay on established paths and roads
- Respect private property; do not enter without express permission
- Follow rules & regulations of public areas
- Avoid aiming optics at people, residences, and businesses
3. We’re all in this together, so please:
- Be courteous to others in your group; your actions affect their birding experience
- Remember that the group leader is responsible for the behavior of the group
4. As you bird, we encourage you to be mindful of your impacts on birds and other people, mindful of safety, and mindful of your own birding experience. Thank you, and thank you for supporting bird conservation. The birds need it, and deserve it!
thank you to our sponsors:
Citizen scientists join experts in order to observe and catalog life in the Monument.
Sign up for our newsletter to keep in the loop upcoming events. In the meantime, check out our previous BioBlitz findings below.